What is the sports premium grant?
The Primary PE and Sport Premium was introduced in March 2013 to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and school sport in primary schools across England. The £150 million per year funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health, and Culture, Media and Sport.
The funding is allocated directly to primary schools and is ring-fenced. This means it may only be spent on improving the provision of PE and sport in schools.
In the 2016 Budget, it was announced that revenue from the soft drinks industry levy would be used to double the primary school PE and sport premium from £160 million per year to £320 million per year, from September 2017, to help schools support healthier, more active lifestyles. This additional funding has enabled primary schools to make further improvements to the quality and breadth of PE and sport they offer.
How should the funding be used?
The PE and Sport Premium must be spent by schools on ‘making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport’ for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
This means that the funding should be used to develop or add to the PE and sport activities that schools already offer and/or make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
With this in mind, schools can choose how they use the funding. For example, funding can be used to:
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work alongside teachers;
- Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more confidently and effectively;
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take part;
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs;
- Run sport competitions;
- Increase pupils’ participation in the school games;
- Run sports activities in partnership with other schools.
For any further information please visit the Government’s Sports Premium website
- Primary PE and Sport Premium Impact Report – 2021/22
- Key Achievements – 2021/22